HEALTH AWARENESS MESSAGE FROM
for THE BENEFIT OF
PREVENTION OF ACCIDENTS AND INJURIES IN CHILDREN AND THEIR PRIMARY
A] Prevention of Accidents:
General Prevention of
Prevention of Road Accidents
- Teaching Road Crossing Discipline.
- Assuring Safe Cycling of Children.
- Prevention of Indiscriminate Use of Motorised Vehicles.
Prevention of Other Accidents
Do Not Allow Children - Near Fires
- Near Hot Utensils.
- Near Hot Water
- Buckets Etc.
Supervise Children in Pools and Ponds.
Do Not Permit Infants near Buckets of Water.
Injuries Due To Sharp Objects
Toys Should Not Have Sharp Edges Or Pointed Corners.
Do not Permit Children to Handle Knives, Scissors Etc.
Assure that All Plug Points
in The House Are Blocked And Are Out Of Reach Of Toddlers.
Baby Walkers Are Not Totally Safe And Infants
In Walkers Do Require Supervision.
- Sleeping Children Should Be Well Protected From Falling Off Cots.
- Balloons and Plastic Bags May Cause Suffocation And Should Be Kept
Away From Children.
- Special Care during Holi and Diwali.
Primary Care of
A] Burn Injuries:
Principle: Neutralise The Thermal Agent At The
Pour Clean Cold Water On Burnt Area / Cold
Antiseptic Creams Locally.
Urgent Medical Help.
- In Case of Electrical Burns.
- Switch Off Electrical Supply
-Cardio-RespiratoryResuscitation If Required.
B] Cuts And
Principles: Stop Bleeding, Prevent Infection
& Minimise Pain.
- Cover The Wound With A Clean Cloth Or Clean Cotton And Exert Steady
Continuous Pressure For 4-5 Minutes.
- Minimal Movement of Part.
- Improperly Applied Tourniquets May Do More Harm Than Good.
- Elevation Of Part If Possible.
C] In Suspected
- Cuts To Be Treated as Above.
- Splint Part Use Wooden Rulers or Blunt Pieces Of Stiff
Plastics Etc and bandage.
- Transport with minimal movement to part.
D] In Major Injuries.
Identify major injuries by:
- Obvious bone deformities with bleeding and cuts.
- Injuries on head.
- Unconsciousness even if transient.
- Suspect spine injuries: pain in the spine,Reduced movement of 1/more
- Suspected internal bleeding:Blunt abdominal/ chest injury.Pallor.
Cold and wet extremities.
- Breathlessness after injury.
- BREATHING ( if necessary mouth mouth resuscitation).
- CARDIAC THUMP IF NECESSARY.
- Ask for urgent medical help.
- Stabilise neck and head with a collar.
- Minimal bending of body.
- Transport preferably in stretcher or on flat wooden board.
- Preferably transfer to centre with 24 hour casualty / emergency
- Avoid Toys with Loose
Missiles Like Bow And Arrow.
Strictly Avoid Kajal.
Do Not Put Pins Etc Into
Most Ear Buds Are Not For Children
And Are Often Harmful In Adults Also.
Perforations Of The Ear Drum May
Use Only Drops Recommended By Your
Limb / Hand / Finger Injuries:
Exercise care while shutting doors at home and in cars.
Strictly, Do Not Permit Children To Peep Out Of Running Vehicles.
Best To Keep Windows Shut Or Half Shut.
School Buses May Preferably Have Grills.
Medicines, Attractive Tablets And
Capsules To Be Kept Away From Infants.
Kerosene, Washing Soda And Other Poisonous Items Should Be Totally
Inaccessible From Children.
Pins, Coins, Toys With Small Loose Parts Maybe Swallowed
Inadvertently And May Require Surgery.
Stapler Pins From Bags Containing Foodstuffs Maybe Swallowed.
Peanuts And Other Hard Nuts Should
Not Be Given To Small Children Below 2 Yr. Age.
They May Occasionally Enter The Wind-Pipe
(Trachea) Instead Of Food Pipe And May Block The Windpipe And Cause Suffocation And
Occasionally Instantaneous Death.
Do Not Allow Elder Sib To Feed Infant As They May Put Harmful Items
Into The Mouth Of The Infant.
Other Small Items Which May Enter Windpipe And Cause Choking Include
Pencaps, Whistles In Toys, Stones, Ball Bearings Etc.
Zipper Injuries To The External Genitalia Of Male Children May Occur
If There Is No Underwear And Special Care Must Be Taken While Zipping And Unzipping Pants
In Such Cases.
Confirm That The Eye-Sight And The Hearing Of A Child Is Normal
To Avoid Unnecessary Accidents.
Contributed by Dr. Ketan
For INDIAN MEDICAL
ASSOCIATION (NEBS br.)
For further enquiries and information on
INDIAN MEDICAL ASSOCIATION-NEBS br. :
OFFICE:6,UnityApartment; 2-BDamodarPark, LBSRd,Ghatkopar(W),
President:Dr.KetanParikh Ph:(H)5148902/5121603. (R)5100035/5125962.
Hon. Secretary: Dr.
Rohit Aggrawal: Ph:(H)5153643/5133062.